At Mayoh Architects we understand the impact the built environment has on the planet. Thus we feel a responsibility to propose sensible, cost effective and sustainable solutions to clients throughout the design process.
As part of our strategy for sustainable design, we have initiated an Environmental & Healthy Project Checklist which aims to provide the Architect, Client & Consultants with a quick reference document for the extensive scope of actions, technologies, products & processes available to make a building a more energy efficient, ecologically friendly and a healthy space in which to live and work. The implementation of one or many of these initiatives will contribute towards a more sustainable and healthy building beyond statutory compliance.
Typical initiatives to consider include:
– Low energy
– Energy efficient HVAC, hydraulic and electrical systems
– Use of alternative energy sources
– Building Management Systems
– Building Performance
– Occupant Training
– Passive solar design strategies
– Cross ventilation
– External sun shading
– Localised material selection
– Coordination of transport to reduce vehicle reliance
– Maintenance & Operations Initiatives
– Stormwater harvesting & re-use
– selection of materials with low embodied energy
– use of timber wherever possible
– Use of recycled materials / materials with recycled content
– low maintenance materials
– Low emissions
– Reducing CO2 and GHG emissions by reducing conditioning loads by passive design strategies
– Intelligent MEP system selection can reduce carbon emissions.